Hockey skates are an essential piece of equipment for the hockey player. You may have overlooked one aspect is having the right hockey skate insoles. If you are not wearing the right insoles, you can suffer from strained and aching feet after games or training. Keeping your feet in the best condition possible for optimal performance and recovery is important.
The best insoles for hockey skates will support your feet and keep them in great condition. There are different types of hockey skate insoles available on the market. In this article, we will provide you with some of the best insoles with helpful buying tips to make your skating experience a lot more comfortable.
*The product links in this post are affiliate links, which means that if you purchase after following one, I make a small commission from the sale at no additional cost to yourself. Please see our disclosure page for more information.
Features to look for in a great hockey skate insole
With the constant wear and tear of playing hockey, it is important to be sure that your feet are in the best condition possible. Alongside owning great skate laces, having the right hockey skate insole can be essential to comfortable skating. Here are a few features that you should look for in a great hockey skate insole.
- Comfortable form to fit
- Soft texture
6 of the best insoles for hockey skates
1. Icebug Unisex’s Fat Insole
Icebug insoles offer plenty of benefits that all hockey players would want to keep an eye out for such as their arch flex system technology support your foot’s structure and provide exceptional energy transfer. Similar to how you would always need to equip some shoulder pads for protection, insoles prevent injuries when using your ice hockey skates. A simple yet highly durable thick insole can do wonders for providing air circulation around your feet. You can also expect to have better control over your footwork with added arch support regardless of your foot type.
- Nylon and rubber materials make this product capable of withstanding long-term usage
- Reduces pressure around the heels
- A genuine game-changer in preventing injuries
- Unique stability ball design helps prevent slips and falls while skating
- Fat insoles would mean that your foot shape may not fit with the design
- Can make your ice skates feel a lot hotter due to the rubber material
2. Superfeet Unisex’s Carbon Pro Hockey Shoe Insoles
The quality of your insoles can cause a massive change in the way you move around the rink. Some players can also feel that the wrong insoles can feel as though they bought new skates entirely. Although the many benefits of using an insole outweigh wearing hockey skates without one, choosing a material that won’t hamper your performance is always ideal. Hence, the Carbon Pro Superfeet insoles might suit those that want the lightest feel when skating.
- Superfeet Carbon works perfectly for all manners of skates
- PE foam makes your ice skates still feel light due to the material
- Performance insoles provide elevated heel increases around your feet
- Boosts movement especially at tight turns
- Not ideal for players with a flat foot
- Sizing may not always come out perfect
3. CURREX HockeyPro Skate Insoles
Not every player has the mindset of needing the latest in cutting edge technology to play. Some players can find themselves satisfied as long as their hockey skates can provide the right heel support and increase their balance. As such, Currex HockeyPro Skate Insoles ensures that players can still receive the advantages of proper insoles while also providing that needed comfort and breathability that most hockey insoles pass up.
- Designed with ensuring that these hockey insoles have the best comfort feel out of all competition
- Currex soft cushion design minimizes wear and tear on your ankles
- Choose between various options depending on your heel and foot type
- Full-length contact for a snug fit
- Maximum support and comfort target more casual players
- Extra soft material may not appeal to some users
4. Shock Doctor Skate Insole
Adaptive arch technology is something that not all players might consider crucial when choosing their insoles. Most hockey skates would even come with their own insoles that can range from good quality to basically cardboard. However, your feet and skating style can and will change the longer you play. This evolution of playstyles can also affect the way your feet move when it’s ice time. Fortunately, the Shock Doctor Skate Insoles makes sure that their product is designed specifically for adaptability. This comfort insole channels energy to help provide that right combination of movement and balance that all players will want to look out for. All of these benefits in one insole.
- Easily adapts to your feet regardless of their shape, type, and size
- The unique and simple design allows for quick starts whenever needed
- Foam cushioning increases air circulation and breathability
- Lightweight lowers adjustment time
- Least wide among the rest of the list
- Slippery when used
5. Generic Replacement Hockey Skate InsolesNo products found.
Some insoles will advertise their ability to help skates move around the ice with ease, while others will encourage users that there will be a huge difference in their hockey skills after using their products. If you only want to pass the need of your hockey skate inserts into something simple and easy then you can always use any of the generic replacement skate insoles. Although these generic replacements may not bring much commercialized benefits, you can still ensure that you can take advantage of the true surface area of your skates without feeling hampered or clustered.
- As simple and light as you can possibly purchase
- 4 pieces of adjustable pads for all genders and shapes
- Polyester material prevents slipping
- Guarantee to work correctly on any hockey skates you have
- No special stabilizer cap or vent holes line
- Does not provide a cushion
No products found.
6. CCM Custom Support Hockey Skate Insoles
Insoles for skates are not only made to help better your performance or provide a cushion when playing. The best skate insoles might talk about their incredible cushioning and arch support but there is also another added benefit to using inserts. This benefit is none other than providing extra breathing for your feet to properly dry up when undergoing extreme ice hockey sessions. This CCM Custom Support Hockey Skate Insole ensures that you will never have to worry about having sweaty and infected feet when around the ice again. The unique venting system ensures that you are safe from any possible signs of athletes’ feet and the like.
- Custom-fit for a perfect feel
- Top-quality cushioning and arch support
- Acceleration does not feel hampered despite the increased ventilation
- Safest bet to prevent any foot diseases from occurring
- Focuses on comfort and air movement more than increased skill
- Energy transfer between movements can feel a bit off at first
Buyer Guide & FAQs
Key points for consideration before buying?
Prevents Injuries: Hockey is not something that players should take lightly. Not only are you going to need extreme mastery in both manoeuvrabilities and planning, but you should also prepare for some intense physicality. This demanding sport can cause a hamper on your ankles and feet which can shorten your playing time. Insoles act as a second layer of cushion to prevent injuries from happening.
Better Playing Feel: Some professional insoles such as Carbon Pro Hockey will advertise their amazing unrivalled edge control technology. Although most marketing will only showcase the outlandish claims, the best hockey insoles can improve your playing capacity by a large percentage.
Clears Your Feet from Leftover Sweat and Dirt
Hockey is still a sport that requires heavy movement. The tight skates can cause your feet to create a lot of sweat that can become hazardous if not aired out properly. You can find that the more expensive ice skates have built-in ventilation made to help sweat to fly off your feet. However, a comfortable insert such as the ones from Superfeet insoles can prevent players from developing athlete’s foot-to-foot fungus.
Prolongs Your Skates’ Life
Let’s face it, ice hockey skates are not cheap. Not only will you need to properly maintain the leather as you would a normal shoe, but you also have to ensure that the blade remains sharp and smooth. However, constant wear and tear will drastically lower the quality over time. Insoles can prolong the longevity of a hockey skate by providing a protective layer from your feet to the soles of your shoe.
Do insoles help in hockey skates?
Yes, the added comfort and unrivalled edge control of hockey skate insoles can players move around the rink without much strain on their feet. Also, the added padding can minimize injuries from occurring.
Does the material of my hockey skate insoles matter?
Definitely, each insole has different benefits that can change the way you play. Some insoles such as the superfeet carbon pro hockey prioritize fast turns during an ice hockey game since it is designed with speed plates in mind.
Owning insoles is part of the adventure of becoming a better hockey player regardless of your professional status with the sport. Not only can you perform better while out on the rink, but you can also ensure that you can continue honing your skills over time without the added risk of injury or fatigue affecting your skills anytime soon.