Progressing your hockey skills is more than just about learning the correct footwork; it’s also about improving your stickhandling skills. Improving stick handling will give you more puck control and make it easier to rely on muscle memory during gameplay so you can focus on the hockey players around you instead of getting caught up on simple stick handling maneuvers.
With the best stickhandling training aid, hockey players can take the time to practice their skills even when off ice. This makes it easy to perform training drills right from the comfort of your garage or backyard when the rink becomes inaccessible.
Hockey trainers and professionals always recommend practicing stick handling a few minutes a day to keep a player’s competitive edge and hand-eye coordination. Now, with the stickhandling training aids we will recommend here, you can do just that and be your own trainer whenever, wherever!
You may also enjoy:
- Best off ice hockey training aids
- Pros and cons of synthetic ice
- Best Slide Boards For Hockey
- Basic ice skating skills for hockey
*The product links in this post are affiliate links, which means that if you purchase after following one, I make a small commission from the sale at no additional cost to yourself. Please see our disclosure page for more information.
Features to look for in a stickhandling aid
- Durability: Type of material and quality of hinges.
- Configuration: How many set-ups and/or formations can be practiced.
- Size: Consider the portability if you plan on training in different locations
- Weight: Think about how easy it will be to stow and carry along with the other gear you will bring along.
10 Great Stickhandling training aids
1. Better Hockey Extreme Stickhandling Trainer
Take your stickhandling skills to the next level with the Better Hockey Extreme Stickhandling Trainer. A quick first glance of this small hockey training aid will showcase the different number of terrains and sets you can form to change up your eye-handling coordination stickhandling on the fly.
- Multiple formations and combinations: Designed to allow hockey players to train in all manners of scenarios with a hockey stick.
- Simple storage and portability: Made with lightweight materials.
- Durable: Can be used all year in almost any condition for an endless training experience and allows for an on or off ice usability
- Professional satisfaction is backed up by the NHL athletes.
- Requires some setup to understand which formations work best for different skills.
- 5 Sections might not suit those that want longer training stickhandling training courses.
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE HOCKEY EQUIPMENT: This innovative hockey training aid will help you improve your stickhandling, puck control and hockey skills while developing your stick speed, timing and eye-hand...
2. Green Biscuit Training PuckNo products found.
The Green Biscuit Training Puck lets you experience an authentic hockey training practice session without needing to spend thousands of dollars on your own ice rink. Instead, you can have a great quality training puck that works for both on and off-ice terrains. Improve your puckhandling game with the versatility of this Biscuit Training Puck.
- Smooth movement and feel regardless of where you skate; works even on rough surfaces.
- An excellent option for beginners looking to learn how to maneuver without placing too much pressure to combine handling movement on-ice practice.
- The puck stays flat regardless of the surface used with its uniquely formatted ball weights.
- An incredible, must-have tool to improve accuracy in puckhandling with its easy-to-carry design.
- Perfect for developing passing skills but cannot withstand full force hits due to its incredibly light material.
- Cheap plastic material can cause chipping easily over time.
No products found.
3. Potent Digital Stickhandling Trainer
Practice with your friends with this one-of-a-kind digital stickhandling training tool, the Potent Digital Stickhandling Trainer, to keep an edge on the competition. This battery-powered training aid works to help enhance speed and shooting skills with anything from moving the puck in a straight line all the way to more complicated puck handling movements.
- Keep track of your stats with this unique shooting pad format.
- A great tool to gain fast hands in agility movement.
- Requires only a single battery to power the device.
- Comes with a sensor puck and sensor ball that works seamlessly with tracking scores and time.
- It tends to drain the battery fast after only a couple of uses.
- Requires own brands sensor puck or sensor ball to register scores.
- High Quality, Innovative Tech - Used by 100+ NHL Players and thousands of young hockey players too.
4. Better Hockey Extreme Pro Defender
Get the feel of balancing out the slippery smooth ice rink with the Better Hockey Extreme Pro Defender while also cultivating basic moves with the Better Hockey Extreme Pro Defender. Learn the ins and outs of outsmarting defenders without needing to bring another person in the game. This simple training aid allows hockey player to improve their typical stickhandling drills by providing a real challenge.
- Presents realistic blocking defences that a professional hockey player would use.
- Allows for a more specific real-life scenario when practicing.
- Goes well with other training drills for a more challenging stickhandling session.
- Stick blades are built to provide the most durable materials possible.
- Limited defending movements for more complex maneuvers.
- Requires setup and adjustment with every new defensive scenario.
- GET READY TO DOMINATE - this innovative hockey training aid will help you improve your stickhandling, puck control and hockey skills. Develop your stick speed, timing and eye-hand coordination
5. SuperDeker Advanced Ice Hockey Training System
With the SuperDeker Advanced Ice Hockey Training System, you can say goodbye to spending a fortune to reserve an ice rink for your next training on an upcoming hockey game again. This synthetic mat will feel as though you have all the ice time that you could want right at the comfort of your own home. The light-up mat will improve your stickhandling skills while remaining stationary the entire time.
- Want to know more? Read our full SuperDeker Review
- Timed randomized red lights will shine to signify quick movements improving your overall awareness and agility when playing.
- Strong rebounder band for strong hits without risk of damaging the playing mat.
- Comes with a built-in scoreboard for tracking and recording play stats.
- Real ice-feel without needing to go out of the house.
- Some assembly is required to get this training aid to start.
- The smooth feeling of ice on the mat only happens after using its included Zero Friction spray.
6. Winnwell 4Way Hockey Passing Aid
Not all stickhandling drills will focus on a player’s full capabilities for hockey, like the Winnwell 4 Way Hockey Passing Aid. This hockey training aid ensures that a specific teamwork factor in hockey-playing does not go unnoticed or underappreciated. With this passing aid, expect a massive increase in your ability to conduct more accurate passes in a hockey game.
- Great as an off-ice training aid.
- Constructed from heavy-duty steel for maximum reliability when taking a hit from passes.
- Rubber ends allow for both improving your passing and receiving game.
- It is a fantastic gift idea for those who want to start learning how to improve their hockey playing skills properly.
- Solid metal construction makes this item quite challenging to lug around.
- Pricey, considering its specific and straightforward focus on passing and receiving regular ice hockey pucks.
- 🏒 IMPROVE YOUR PASSING & ONE-TIMERS by using the rubber rebounder to simulate real game play to improve your reaction time, passing accuracy and stickhandling.
7. Snipers Edge Hockey SweetHands
The ice is not a field that you can expect to master without learning how to fall once in a while. As such, the Sniper Edge Hockey SweetHands training aid allows players, both new and old, to perfect their movements around with a hockey puck using this Snipers Edge hockey stickhandling training aid.
- Comes with two options of Rookie or Pro to match your current skillset.
- Movable sections to allow for more complicated maneuvering around the field.
- Works for both on-ice and off-ice surfaces.
- Used by both professional athletes and first-time players alike.
- Clamp sizes cannot be changed.
- Limited sections would mean that a secondary purchase might be necessary for larger fields.
- DEVELOP STICKHANDLING SKILLS - The options are endless for the Sweethands and the drills you can do with them. On or off the ice, the Sweethands are able to force players to focus on their control,...
8. Better Hockey Extreme Skills Kit
Take your hockey skills to the next level with the versatile options available with the Better Hockey Extreme Skills Kit. The best hockey players are those that can maximize the skills needed to perfect all aspects of their movements. This training aid comes with everything you need to become an all-time great with your stick handling and accuracy in scoring.
- Control what you want out of your next hockey training session.
- Complete package for an all-out real-life hockey gaming experience.
- Adjustable electronic scoreboard to keep track of all your points.
- Perfect for all skill levels of hockey play.
- Huge mat space requires a large flat surface to use optimally.
- IMPROVE YOUR HOCKEY SKILLS – with these ultimate hockey training aids for shooting, passing and stickhandling
9. HockeyShot Speed Deke Trainer
Speed up your shots for a better and more competitive skillset when playing with the HockeyShot Speed Deke Trainer. The aluminum construction allows for a nice clean finish while remaining sturdy and lightweight enough for both off and on the ice.
- Four feet in length allows for some lengthy speed deke training.
- Retractable spikes allow players to adjust the amount of spacing per column.
- Allowance for an endless stream of the HockeyShot Speed Deke Trainer for future purchases.
- Extremely lightweight for easy movement and carrying.
- Requires multiple purchases to create a more complex playing field.
- Adjustable height can benefit from more options.
- Can be used on any hockey training surface. Constructed of durable light weight high impact aluminum materials.
10. Winnwell Triangle Hockey Passing Aid
Passing is one of the most critical elements of a great hockey team, and using the Winnwell Triangle Hockey Passing Aid is a great way to improve that specific skill. Your skills with stickhandling would almost always never be enough unless you can rely on the skills of your fellow teammates. As such, you can make more openings with this hockey passing training aid.
- Precise stickhandling tool to make passes as accurate as possible
- A rubberized rebounder allows for some clever plays to speed up movement between smashes.
- Improves reaction time with a smaller window of opportunity to react.
- 100% money-back guarantee for those that want a different training tool.
- Heavyweight makes this product hard to wield.
- A bit pricey.
- 🏒 IMPROVE YOUR PASSING & ONE-TIMERS by using the rubber rebounder to simulate real game play to improve your reaction time, passing accuracy and stickhandling.
Buyer Guide & FAQs
What to look for in a stickhandling training aid
Choosing the right hockey stickhandling training aid means considering how often you will use the trainer, where you plan on using it, and most importantly, the durability of the training aid you choose to purchase. These are by far the top three things to consider before purchasing one that is right for you. In terms of what hockey training aid should have, here is a breakdown of the essentials and why they are essential to have:
Durability & Longevity:
Hockey training can get intense, especially if you are a professional hockey player. With that, the training aid you choose should be able to withstand consistent training daily without the quality degrading quickly. This includes strong hinges or folds that don’t compromise useability and versatility for use on various landscapes (e.g. concrete, mats, grass, wooden flooring, carpets, etc.)
Versatility In Configurations:
It is always great to have a training aid that allows for numerous set-ups for a versatile and well-rounded training session when it comes to stickhandling practice. Adjusting the shape and curve from zigzag to you gives players more chances to discover new maneuvers and hone in on specific skill sets. Certain drills require a particular setup so having versatile hocket stick handling tools requires one that makes room for different routines.
Size & Weight of the Training Aid:
Considering the size and weight depends primarily on whether you plan to bring the training aid with you to different locations. Those who may only use it at home do not have to put this at the top of their list of things to consider, but those who move around often and want to have a training session wherever they are should consider this.
While most of the recommendations we provided above are lightweight, easy to stow, and can be set up anywhere, there are some heavier options like the Superdeker and may need more consideration if it is to be brought around from one place to another consistently.
Usability For Both On & Off Ice Stickhandling Training:
More often than not, hockey stick handling training aids will be used for off-ice practice. However, should you wish to use your training aid on ice, it is best to look at the trainer’s features and usability to see if it allows for both on and off-ice training. That way, should you have the opportunity for ice time, it can easily be set up on the ice and still used between ice time drills for practice.
Cost For Value:
Of course, considering the cost of an item for the value you get is always essential. Some people may opt to purchase a cheaper variant of their chosen training aid but will get disappointed in the quality. That is why it is best to buy a high-quality version at a higher price, but you can rest assured it will last longer and will not easily break on you.
Check to see if your chosen hockey training aid has many additional features that come with it. Some, like the SuperDeker, have game modes that make training drills engaging and a challenge. Others have a simple design but provide versatile training options ass you can adjust and readjust them for different move sets and maneuvers.
Owning and using a stickhandling training aid proves to have tons of benefits for hockey players of all levels. Beginners can use the hockey trainer to hone their skills consistently on or off the ice and in the comfort of their chosen location. Moreover, professionals can retain their edge and competitive streak by refining their chosen maneuvers daily, even when the ice rink becomes inaccessible for a time.
This means that no matter the skill level or location, players can still practice and learn new moves while also perfecting their hand-eye coordination so they can keep their head in the game rather than focusing too much on stickhandling maneuvers and puck control. To help you decide whether or not to invest in a hockey stickhandling training aid, here are the top 5 questions people ask.
Does A Hockey Training Aid ACTUALLY Improve stickhandling skills?
With the right hockey stickhandling tools and consistent drills, the recommended training aids prove effective in improving hand-eye coordination, puck control, and stick handling. Many professional hockey players use equipment like this to maintain their skills off-season or when ice time is not possible. The idea is to come up with a comprehensive training plan using different drills and versatile stickhandling for the best results.
Which skills do the stickhandling aids target most?
Stickhandling aids focus a lot on puck control and hand-eye coordination. The goal is to be able to control the hockey stick in a way that gets the puck where you need it to be without having to look down all the time. This skill is very important as hockey players need to keep their heads up and use their peripheral vision during gameplay so they can gauge where to go based on how other players are positioned on the ice.
Is assembly difficult?
Most hockey stick control training aides are very simple to set up. The ones recommended here only take a few minutes to adjust correctly, and the manual is easy to understand. The great thing about our recommendations is the versatility they allow. Meaning, you can customize the settings or features to suit your professional level or gameplay/drill needs.
Will You Need Additional Equipment or Materials?
Some hockey training aids come in a set that includes all the additional equipment and items needed for an entire training session. Others, may require you to purchase pucks and other equipment separately. Always make sure to read what is included with your purchase before clicking check out.
What hockey player level will benefit most from these stickhandling training sets?
Generally, the recommendations we have provided suit with all playing levels. As mentioned, the settings and adjustments can be made to fit exactly what you need out of your training session. Hockey training aids come with recommendations for setup for different levels, making it easy to follow along instead of using the trial and error method.
Do professional hockey players use hockey stick handling tools?
Yes, professional hockey players are always looking for ways to retain or improve their stick maneuvering and handling skills. This includes when they are off the ice in their homes or out elsewhere. Using training aids may not perfectly simulate on-ice training, but it provides the necessary drill movements and handwork applicable on ice.
Practicing different drills with stickhandling training aids is a great way to improve overall hand-eye coordination, peripheral vision skills, and puck control without ice time. It improves knowledge of maneuvering for fast hands during gameplay and works wonders in training players to keep their heads up instead of looking down at the ice.